SigEp's annual philanthropic event is our Chili Cookoff. Each year, SigEp holds a competition that is open to the campus and local community. Teams cook chili on-site on the Southern Miss campus to be judged by a panel of distinguished judges. In 2015, more than 25 teams competed in our 10th annual Chili Cookoff and hundreds of students and members of the community came out to taste chili and take part in the event. The Chilli Cookoff always benefits a local charity and Extra Table, a local nonprofit that raises money to feed the hungry, has been the charity of choice. Over the past two years, SigEp has raised $23,500 for Extra Table.
Impacting Our Community
In addition to our own Chili Cookoff, SigEp participates in numerous philanthropic events on campus and donates thousands of community service hours to the Pine Belt community. Over the past two years, SigEp finished:
- 1st and 2nd in Chi Omega's Songfest
- 1st in Delta Gamma's King Neptune dance competition
- 1st in Delta Gamma's Anchor Splash
- 1st in Kappa Delta's Shamrock Superbowl
- 1st in Alpha Delta Pi's Dodgeball Tournament
- 1st in Phi Mu's Bonnamu Dance Contest
- 1st in Delta Tau Delta's Sports Challenge
- 1st in Alpha Tau Omega's Volleyball Tournament
Also, whether it is by cleaning up after a tornado in nearby Columbia, MS, dressing up as Dr. Suess characters and reading to children, or volunteering at a local homeless shelter, SigEp makes a difference in our community.